Saturday, January 28, 2006

Someone Please Remind Me Why It Is I Freaking Live Here!!!!

Yes, I know that Alaska is the Last Frontier and one of the most beautiful places, blah, blah, blah......and it is......most of the time. HOWEVER, there are times (usually in the horrible month of January) when most of us Alaskans wonder "Why in the hell am I living here?!?!?!"

Just so you can see WHY we might be pondering this question, here's a picture of the temperature at the Fred Meyer store:






Yes. I know. Yes, it does say -55*. Yes, that is 55 degrees BELOW zero........now you understand. And the reason that it looks all fuzzy and cloudy around the sign? Ice fog. This is my Public Service Announcement to all of you dear people in Blogland....don't come to Alaska in January. You are welcome.

8 Comments:

Blogger Delte777 said...

OMG you are nutz. My nipples would never forgive me if I moved there. They hurt right now just from looking at that picture.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Kayla said...

Hi Shea,
I saw you on AMZ's blog and thought I'd check out your site.
Yikes! I don't think I could handle it. The rattle of my chattering teeth would make me deaf!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Shea said...

HA!!!! Yeah, I know, it's butt-ass cold, but you do climatize, I promise. I lived in Alabama for 2 years, got all used to that great temperature, then moved my dumb ass back up here....used to it now. After that nasty cold spell, it got up to 30* (above zero) and it was downright BALMY here......

4:39 PM  
Blogger Arctic Skipper said...

Tell me you've been out riding lately - it's practically Spring right now!!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Shea said...

I have, I have.....once. Yesterday - yes, I know...but it's been COLD and/or there hasn't been enough snow....

So, after making 3 trips to Napa and 3 hours of fiddling with shit and taking the spark plugs out a gazzillion times, we FINALLY got my bitch of a sled started and went down river for a couple of hours....it was GREAT!!!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Kayla said...

Happy Valentine's Day Shea!
Stay warm, girl.
How cool to be able to "hop on a sled" and go down river!
Would you believe we actually had snow flurries here in balmy Alabama? It lasted about 90 seconds and of course didn't stick, but it was awesome!!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Arctic Skipper said...

Mechanical crap like that wouldn't happen if you had an Arctic Cat . . . . :P

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

Oh man, we used to get that ice fog back in northern North Dakota too. But it only got down to like, -30 there. :)

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home